Care Choices & Hospice
Care Choices & Hospice offers the option to continue curative treatments, for individuals who qualify, while receiving the support and safety net of hospice services. Gilchrist is one of the few hospices in Central Maryland offering this Medicare model of care and partners with both Medicare and private insurers to offer this option.
What Support Will Care Choices & Hospice Provide?
Under this program, the individual’s current physician will continue to direct and bill for care and treatment, including pain and symptom management. However, Gilchrist Hospice Care will provide valuable interdisciplinary support, including:
- Nursing case management, as well as hospice aide, social work, spiritual care and volunteer support provided in the home and through regular telephone contact
- Access to full hospice home care services, including after-hours support in times of crisis
How Do Individuals Qualify for Medicare Care Choices & Hospice Care?
To be eligible, individuals must:
- Live in a traditional home setting, including independent residences
- Be certified as terminally ill, with a prognosis of six months or less to live
- Have a terminal diagnosis of cancer, congestive heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or HIV/AIDS
- Have had a hospital visit within the past 12 months (emergency department visit, inpatient admission or observation stay) and visited a physician at least three times in the last 12 months
- Have been enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B for at least 12 months
In addition to Medicare, many private insurers also cover the Care Choices & Hospice model of care. Please check with us to assess your eligibility for these programs.